LBNL 한인 모임
TITLEIn-situ Liquid-Phase Transmission Electron Microscopy for Studying Nanocrystal Formation
SPEAKERJiwoong Yang, Postdoctoral Researcher, Materials Sciences Division, LBNL

ABSTRACTThe fundamental understanding of the nanocrystal formation mechanism is of key importance to fully exploit unique properties of nanomaterials. Thus, there is growing demand on the direct observation of the nanoscale dynamic processes. Here, I will present my research on the formation of colloidal nanocrystals using in-situ liquid phase transmission electron microscopy (TEM). I will talk about non-classical nucleation and growth behaviors of nanocrystals, revealed by high-resolution graphene liquid cell TEM. In addition, the use of MoS2 as functional substrates to study the formation of nanocrystals/2D van der Waals structures will be highlighted. Furthermore, applications of in-situ liquid phase TEM for other research fields will be briefly discussed.

BIOJiwoong Yang is now a PostDoc at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (PIs: Dr. Haimei Zheng, Dr. Emory Chan, and Dr. Peter Ercius), studying in-situ liquid-phase TEM. He received his B.S. (2011, Summa Cum Laude) and Ph.D. (2016, Advisor: Prof. Taeghwan Hyeon) in Chemical & Biological Engineering at Seoul National University. He is appointed as an assistant professor in the Department of Energy Science & Engineering at DGIST (Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology, from Jul-1st-2019). His research interest is the design and synthesis of novel inorganic nanomaterials for the next-generation electronic/energy devices.양지웅 박사_FB.jpg